Tips For Regular Exercise
1. If at all possible, exercise first thing in the morning. As the day wears on, you will find more excuses to skip exercising. Get it checked off your list, first thing. Its also a very nice way to start the day. even if nothing else goes right, you have accomplished that.
2. Never skip exercising for two days in a row. You can skip a day, but the next day, you must exercise, no matter how inconvenient.
3. Do not kid yourself: Paying for a gym membership does not mean you go to the gym. Having been in shape in high school or college does not mean you are in shape now. Saying that you do not have time to exercise does not make it true.
4. Even if you are not sure you are going to exercise, go ahead and put on your exercise clothes. Pack your bag. Put the dogs leash by the door. Get prepared. If you are ready to go, you might find it easier just to go ahead and exercise. Sometimes, a very trivial thing like not knowing where your shoes are gets in the way.
5. If you do not have time both to exercise and take a shower, find a way to exercise that does not require you to shower afterward. Each week, I have a very challenging weight training session, but the format I follow does not make me sweat.
6. Look for affordable ways to make exercising more pleasant or satisfying. Could you upgrade to a nicer or more convenient gym? Work with a trainer? Get a pedometer to keep track of your walking distances? Exercise is a high life priority, so this a worthwhile place to spend some money if that helps.
7. Wear the right clothes: You will want to wear clothes that will not restrict your movements or blood flow. Do not wear clothes which are too tight, especially around your joints. You will also want to wear clothing which is made of a material which breathes well, since you will sweat when doing many forms of exercise. Clothes specifically designed for exercise can easily be found.
8. Wear the right shoes: Just because we call them tennis shoes does not mean they are great athletic shoes. Shoes like Converse have little shock absorbency and can be terrible for your feet and bones. Get shoes which fit comfortably and are designed for the type of activity that you intend to do.
9. Do not stretch : Do not stretch before exercising. Contrary to popular belief, studies have shown that this is not helpful and will not allow you to perform any better. If anything, stretching before exercising will make you worse off: its a great way to pull or strain a muscle and hurt yourself!
10. Listening to music while you work out can be a great way to keep you entertained and motivated. Its the Eye of the Tiger.
11. Consistency is the most important part of an exercise regime. Do not expect results in a few days and do not expect those results to stick around if you stop. Exercise several times a week and keep it up if you want to stay healthy.
Pair exercise with healthy eating. Not only will this help you maintain a healthy weight, but it will give you more energy and make you feel less sluggish when exercising.